Join The Winning Team…Team SoBran - We are an industry leader in designing professional animal care programs, managing animal facilities, and providing high quality technical support for laboratory animal research projects. At SoBran, we care about people. SoBran's success hinges on our employees. We maintain a professional environment and ensure that our people have the tools and training to achieve; and opportunities for learning and advancement. Our employees' individual talents contribute to our success! We thank you for your interest in SoBran.
SoBran is seeking an Administrative Support Specialist II to serve at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland (LARC 11).
OVERVIEW: Responsibilities of this position are that of an Administrative Support Specialist II for the NIH, Laboratory Animal Care Project These responsibilities include all activities required for the proper care and maintenance of laboratory animals.
This person is expected to be familiar with the day-to-day activities, personnel and issues within the facilities. We expect this candidate to be forward thinking and create and assist in developing plans to enhance the learning abilities and performance of the staff working on this contract.
Primary duties may include the following:
- Understands and follows all SOP’s and Quality Assurance Standards.
- Answer telephones, check messages, and screen incoming calls. Take messages if the individual is away from their desk or in a meeting.
- Creation of new medical records for incoming animals.
- Update and document in databases and medical record management systems the following information: results of diagnostic tests, results of TB tests, and physical exams.
- Communicate vet instructions for feed modifications to husbandry staff and monitor the efficacy of ration adjustments for growth or weight loss.
- Scheduling annual exams and semi-annual TB testing for groups of animal.
- Pre-review routine blood work against known normal values and flag abnormalities for veterinary review
- Print medical records and coordinate all documents for shipping animals
- Maintain sentinel testing spreadsheets for small animal species
- Initiate orders for veterinary equipment and supplies including researching product options to ensure the best value.
- Schedule routine service calls for veterinary equipment including ICU units, anesthesia machines, dental unit, among other equipment
- Assist in ANY contract related activity as assigned by the supervisor or to complete daily assignments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Schedule Requirements: All employees are expected to perform their duties as assigned, work hours are 7:00 am to 3:30 pm M-F. You may be required to work on the weekends as scheduled. In addition you will be expected to work extra hours during an emergency situation, or if any unexpected situation should arise, until work is completed.
Employees’ appointed to the position of Animal Caretaker I must meet one of the following standards prior to appointment:
A BA/BS in the Animal or Biological Sciences
AA/AAS in the Animal or Biological Sciences
High School Diploma or equivalent.
1-3 years prior laboratory animal experience preferred. Candidate must have demonstrated proficiency in MS Office applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook and be familiar with general office automation and organization skills.
SoBran, Inc. is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.