Join The Winning Team…Team SoBran - We are an industry leader in designing professional animal care programs, managing animal facilities, and providing high quality technical support for laboratory animal research projects. At SoBran, we care about people. SoBran's success hinges on our employees. We maintain a professional environment and ensure that our people have the tools and training to achieve; and opportunities for learning and advancement. Our employees' individual talents contribute to our success! We thank you for your interest in SoBran.
SoBran is seeking a Research Support Specialist II at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland.
OVERVIEW: Responsibilities of this position are that of a Research Support Specialist for the NIH, Animal Care Project. These responsibilities include all activities required for the proper care and maintenance of on-site animals, and proper execution of laboratory-related duties.
Description of Duties:
- Understands and follow all SOP’s and Quality Assurance Standards
- Perform behavioral studies including open field, home cage monitoring, Columbus Instruments activity wheels, novel object test, Morris Water Maze, T maze (multiple protocols), Barnes maze, social preference testing, social defeat, SHIRPA screening the video behavioral tracking system and software program
- Manage video camera systems, organize and prepare presentations of data collected using these systems. This includes the Anymaze and the Noldus Ethovision systems
- Handling and working with live mice, able to recognize normal and abnormal mouse behaviors, and have a general working knowledge of factors within the animal facility or research environment that impact research outcomes, cause variability, influence data, etc.
- Responsible for exercise physiology testing including swimming and treadmill protocols, balance beam testing, tail cuff blood pressure testing, rota rod testing, and other mouse phenotyping tests
- Responsible for performing clinical testing in the study mice; such as necropsy, pathology submission, blood collection, urine collection, x-rays, etc.
- Duties require proficiency with Word, Excel, Outlook and the ability to learn and use custom software systems
- Ability to submit DVR technical requests, place animal orders, fill out proper paperwork and receive required signatures for rodent transfers between facilities, place POTS orders, etc.
- Always think safety first when performing daily duties
- Ability to work independently and interact with all levels of the organization is essential to success in this position
- Perform miscellaneous duties as assigned
Schedule Requirements: All employees are expected to perform their duties as assigned, arrive to work at 7:00 am and depart at 3:30 pm M-F. In addition you will be expected to work extra hours during an emergency situation or if any unexpected situation arise until work is completed.
- Experience working with mice in biomedical research
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills and accurate lab record keeping a must
- Experience using computers specifically MS Office
Required Education: B.S. degree in biology, animal science or similar discipline or an AA in veterinary technology
SoBran, is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.