Join The Winning Team…Team SoBran - We are an industry leader in designing professional animal care programs, managing animal facilities, and providing high quality technical support for laboratory animal research projects. At SoBran, we care about people. SoBran's success hinges on our employees. We maintain a professional environment and ensure that our people have the tools and training to achieve; and opportunities for learning and advancement. Our employees' individual talents contribute to our success! We thank you for your interest in SoBran.
SoBran is seeking a Veterinary Technician I to serve at the National Institutes of Health in Poolesville, Maryland (LARC 8).
OVERVIEW: This is a general summary of the responsibilities associated with the position of Veterinary Technician I for the NIH, Laboratory Animal Research Contract (LARC). This description is not inclusive of all duties required to successfully complete the job each day. It is intended to reflect SoBran’s contractual obligations to the LARC. Employees are expected to complete all assigned duties each day.
Primary duties may include the following:
- Understands and follows all SOP’s and Quality Assurance Standards
- Assist veterinary staff with examinations and procedures, and alert them to emergencies or other animal related problems
- Administer clinical treatments as directed (Topical, PO, IM, SQ, IV, ID) to critical and chronic animals
- Monitor the health status of in-house animals
- Safely and correctly handle and restrain animals for observation and/or minor procedures
- Collect physiological data (pulse, respiration, heart rate, body temperature, etc)
- Collect, preserve, and prepare blood, urine, stool and various tissue samples
- Calculate drug dosages and administration frequencies
- Identify and communicate signs of abnormal health and behavior in multiple species
- Maintain all logs, electronic medical records and documentation accurately
- Completes animal treatment updates and communicate changes with veterinary staff
- Assist the veterinary and research staff with surgical preparations and procedures
- Place and maintain all forms and methods of animal identification in all species
- Responsible for cleaning and sanitization of procedure areas and carts
- Achieve and maintain a technical proficiency score of at least 95% within one year
- Routinely safely handles and disposes of hazardous (biohazardous, radiological, or chemical) materials
- Perform any other duties as assigned
Schedule Requirements: Work hours typically occur between 6:00 am and 5:30 pm M-F. These assignments may include working on weekends and holidays and will be at the discretion of the Program Management Staff. Weekend/Holiday hours range from 5:30 am – 3:30 pm.
Employees’ appointed to the position of Veterinary Technician I must meet one of the following standards prior to appointment:
- An Associate’s degree in Veterinary Technology. Certification: AALAS LAT certification required.
- 3-5 years of experience in the Laboratory Animal field working with multiple species preferred, will consider candidates with comparable experience and length of service in companion animal practice.
SoBran, is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.