Join The Winning Team…Team SoBran - We are an industry leader in designing professional animal care programs, managing animal facilities, and providing high quality technical support for laboratory animal research projects. At SoBran, we care about people. SoBran's success hinges on our employees. We maintain a professional environment and ensure that our people have the tools and training to achieve; and opportunities for learning and advancement. Our employees' individual talents contribute to our success! We thank you for your interest in SoBran.
SoBran, Inc. is seeking an Veterinary Technician II to serve the WRAIR, Animal Care Project in Silver Spring, Maryland.
OVERVIEW: Responsibilities of this position are that of a Veterinary Technician II for the WRAIR, Animal Care Project. These responsibilities include all activities required for the proper care and maintenance of on-site animals. We expect the Veterinary Technician II to be forward thinking and create and assist in developing plans to enhance the learning abilities and performance of the staff working on this contract. They are to serve as the subject matter expert in their area. The Veterinary Technician II must possess strong verbal communication and teaching skills. The Veterinary Technician II will assist the Project Management in maintaining an effective relationship with the investigative and military / government staff.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
Primary duties include the following:
* Understand and follow all SOPs and Quality Assurance Standards.
* Assist veterinarian with examinations and procedures, and alert veterinarian of emergencies or animal problems.
* Administer clinical treatments as directed (Topical, PO, IM, SQ, IV, ID) to critical and chronic animals.
* Monitor the health status of in-house animals.
* Safely and correctly handle and restrain animals for observation and/or minor procedures
* Collect physiological data (pulse, respiration, heart rate, body temperature, etc)
* Calculate doses
* Identify and communicate signs of abnormal or poor health
* Observe and identify abnormal behavior
* Maintain medical records accurately
* Assist veterinarian or scientist in surgical procedures
* Collects, preserves, and prepares blood, urine , fecal samples and skin scrapings
* Tag and tail animals
* Assist with maintaining breeding colony management and recordkeeping
* Collect post-mortem specimens for shipment or evaluation
* Supervise caretakers during weekend shifts.
* Participate in weekly technical or SOP training.
* Perform miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Required Schedule: All employees are expected to perform their duties as assigned, arrive to work at 7:00 am and depart at 3:30 pm M-F. You will be required to work on the weekends as scheduled. The weekend hours are from 7:00 am to noon. In addition you will be expected to work extra hours during an emergency situation or if any unexpected situation arise until work is completed.
Required Education/Experience: Expectation of an A.A. in Veterinary Technology or B.S. in Biology, animal sciences, or 3 years’ experience, and must have AALAS certification at the LAT level.
SoBran, is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.